Click on this picture for more information on my classes and to view my official website

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Natural Childbirth Blog

So I've decided to start a blog to help advertise my classes as well as share news and information pertaining to natural childbirth and some of my students' AMAZING birth stories.
My journey to becoming a Bradley® instructor from first finding out I was pregnant with my oldest son has been incredible. I found The Bradley Method® (TBM) through my friend Danell who was also pregnant with her first child and planning on a natural childbirth. We began taking our classes in Atlanta, GA from an amazing teacher named Lisa. One of the main things that attracted me to TBM was that it is called "Husband Coached Childbirth" also. I knew that I wanted my husband Adam to be involved and not a bystander and he felt the same way. He was EXTREMELY supportive of me wanting to go naturally and agreed that the $300 price tag for a 12 week class wasn't too much to pay if it was going to help us have the birth experience we wanted.
I had no idea what we were in for when we started the class other than hoping to be able to walk away with some confidence in myself. After the first class I knew we had made the right decision. We immediately began learning things about pain management, prenatal exercises, ways to relax and bond as a couple, nutrition during pregnancy, and so much more. Each class offered amazing new insight to the process of labor and birth, not to mention all the information on breastfeeding too. We watched videos and had lots of discussion time as we got to know our teacher as well as our fellow students. Every night we walked away from class feeling as though we had really learned something.
In the end I went into labor the evening of our 11th class. Instead of going to class we went to the hospital where our beautiful Bradley baby was born at 11:30 pm weighing 7lbs 11oz, 19 inches long, with an APGAR of 10. We were so happy to have done it naturally and were SO appreciative of the education we obtained that took almost all the fear out of the process of labor and birth.
7 months later we found out we were unexpectedly expecting again. 3 months after that we got the news that it was twins. Despite all of our efforts to care for my body and the babies we ended up with a cesarean section due to the fact that both the babies were in the breech (butt first) position. The lack of control, the pain, and the recovery were worth it for the health and safety of our children, but to this day is an experience that I wish I could have done without. My husband and I decided not long after that that I was going to train to become a Bradley® Instructor.
So here we are in 2009, 4 years after the start of our journey preparing to welcome baby number 4 into our family. I have enjoyed the ride along with the 9 other students I have taught so far and am excited for my chance to do it all over again.
If you are interested in more information or in taking our class you can visit our website for more information http://www.bradleybirth.com/ndweb.asp?ID=C549

No comments:

Post a Comment